Montag, 4. März 2019

At the Edge of the Woods

I've already written a tutorial on making a battlemat. But now, I've experimented with some different materials and methods, and the result is quite a lot better.

The base is painter's fleece, but this time, I've actually ironed it beforehand. You may skip this, if you use rolled fleece.
I've used some dark grey spray paint on a part of the fleece to get a darker base coat. After that, I mixed up some painter's acrylic, fine sand and acrylic paint (dark brown). This is applied with a broad brush.
The mixture builds a solid textured basing, making the mat thicker than the other one I did. This has additional benefits, as you'll see later on.

Next, I used various tones of brown to make for earthen colours. On some areas, I used coarse structure paint to get a different texture.
After the paint has dried up, I used watered down PVA glue to apply static grass in irregular patches. I've used different mixtures of static grasses and on one side a mixture from NOCH, called Forest Ground.
After the paint and the glue has dried, the whole mat is fixed with some matte clear spray paint. The acrylic takes some time to dry, so best leave it over night.
When everything has dried up, shake the mat well, so all the loose stuff comes off (which is conveniently removed by vacuuming). Now, cut off the border.

The additional benefit of the thicker mat lies in its ability to form a landscape. Simply put some books under the mat and hills will form. This is The Lord of the Rings for the higher hill and The Hobbit for the lower.
The mat forms really good looking hills, which support even heavy metal minis well. Now you can have something akin to an actual gaming table - with a different setup everytime you want.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen